If you suffer constipation after gastric sleeve surgery, you are in the right time and place. We will talks about this suffering in this article so that you will have better understanding about this disease in the future. Read them all one by one below.
What Is It?
Constipation is the most common complaints that people get after they have a weight loss surgery such as gastric sleeve surgery. In details, the constipation is basically when your body especially your bowels can’t be emptied in normal way. It is usually signed by hardened feces. The movements of your bowel are likely blocked by something. This condition may appear less than once a week. This is a normal side effect of the weight loss surgery like gastric sleeve surgery. However, most people believe that they will have constipation if they don’t do any bowel movement every day. The constipation is probably occurred after the gastric sleeve surgery if there is no bowel movement in your body. It is still a fifty-fifty change whether the bowel movements are the same or not.
How Does it Happen?
Most cases of constipation after gastric sleeve surgeryshow that this disease doesn’t provide serious complications in a short time. But, it will be more severe if you don’t treat it for long time. So, understanding the causes and treatment can be a good thing to do for you who are suffering this constipation at the moment. This untreated condition will provide discomfort feeling to you since the stool is hardened in the large intestine. It is also usually followed by high amount of gas, depending on the levels of your constipation.
Here are the most probable causes of constipation after gastric sleeve surgery as follow:
- A quick reduction of food or drink daily consumption
- Iron supplement
- Consuming such medications like tranquilizer, antidepressants, etc.
- Weak muscles of lower body parts
- Using narcotic pain medications at the early post-op phase.
- The lack of water or fluid intake in your body so that the stool and feces don’t move properly or even stop from moving to lower area. It is suggested to drink water at least forty eight ounces every day.
- Avoiding diuretics that are important to increase the production of urine such as caffeine.
- The lack of exercise. Many doctors suggest the patients of the gastric sleeve surgery to walk as soon as possible after their surgery approximately a month after it.
- Inadequate fiber intake. High fiber food helps the stool to move and trigger the bowel movements quickly.
Preventing it happens is the best treatment of constipation after gastric sleeve surgery. Some serious complications such as hemorrhoids, intestinal blockages, and hernias may follow the constipation after long time untreated. When you have to consume an iron supplement after the surgery, you may need some stool softeners to help the bowel movements. You can look for Colace, which is over-the-counter medicine that you can find anywhere. You may need this for the first month until you are able to consume high fiber food and drink.
What if the constipation after gastric sleeve surgery has already occurred? Consult to your doctor as soon as possible is the last plan to do. But, you may reduce it by consuming a Dulcolax suppository, Milk of Magnesia, or Fleets enema. Please don’t hesitate to see your doctor or surgeons. Avoid some laxatives because it may prevent the normal bowel movements. However, not all constipation is caused by the surgery. Some bowel function problems or diseases can’t be related to gastric sleeve surgery. It requires the experts’ diagnosis surely so that the evaluation will be more reliable. The doctor or surgeon is your best way to diagnose the current problem of your constipation.