Pneumonia that is caused by bacteria such as mycoplasma pneumoniae and chlamydophila pneumoniae is called walking pneumonia. This is the least scary kind of pneumonia and one can experience it without even realizing it. Doctors might even call it atypical pneumonia because it is not necessarily a serious case, but still, is walking pneumonia contagious?
It Kind of Feels Like a Cold
Walking pneumonia is most commonly caused by a lung infection and there are a lot of things that cause it such as:
- Inhaled food
You won’t have to stay in the hospital if you experience walking pneumonia and often times you might feel like you still have enough energy needed to do daily activities and work. Well, that’s good news, right? However, is walking pneumonia contagious? The answer is yes. It can spread through coughs or sneezes but it spreads slowly. If you get walking pneumonia then you can also spread it to other people up to 10 days.
Read More : Common Symptoms Of Walking Pneumonia
Generally speaking, the symptoms spread within the span of 15 to 25 days after you have been exposed to mycoplasma pneumoniae and then you will become worse in two up to four days. The symptoms include:
- Cough which may be accompanied by violent spasm
- Chest pain when taking a deep breath
- Sore throat
- Mild flu symptoms like chills and fever
- Prolonged weakness
- Ear infection
- Skin rash
Some of the symptoms can be relieved simply by consuming over-the-counter medicines. You should see a doctor and she will advise whether or not you need antibiotics. You should also tell your doctor all the medicines you are taking or plan to take. Moreover, you should also drink lots of fluids and get yourself plenty of time to rest.
Unfortunately, there is no vaccine for walking pneumonia so there is no way to completely prevent it from happening. However, there are a couple of things you can do in order to reduce the likeliness of you from getting it.
- Do a lot of exercise and eat a well balance diet. You should also get enough sleep every day. All of these things will make you healthy and your body will be able to resist infection.
- Wash your hands all the time. Germs won’t spread to your body if your hands are clean.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can cause lungs to get damage and damaged lungs can get infected easily.
- Cover your mouth with sleeve when you sneeze or cough and ask other people to do the same. Sneezing and coughing are the main factors of how these infections start in the first place.
Everyone regardless of age can get pneumonia. However, walking pneumonia that is caused by mycoplasma is most common in children, adults younger than 40 and military recruits.
Bottom line, is walking pneumonia contagious? The answer is yes but it is nothing serious to worry about and it can be cured with antibiotics.